I was just thinking about it yesterday, and today I see this infographic on Mashable. Anyway, we’ve really come to a long way. I still remember back then, when YouTube first started, some people were just uploading great TV spots that they like or they thought were interesting. Then many groups and brands jumped in and asked YouTube to take the videos down, as they were uploaded without permission.
But guess what? Years after, most brands and groups stopped doing it. Instead, they upload their TV spots on YouTube themselves, and even WANT and WISH people to do it too.
Businesses have realized that, in the social media space, intellectual property is no more important than people willing to share about the brands. We all want to share valuable content, and to be shared as well. If people share about you, it increases your brand awareness and exposure. It’s word-of-mouth marketing and free advertising.
I also think it is very interesting because YouTube has totally changed our lives. I still remember, ten years ago, if I want to watch a TV spot on the Internet, I would have to download it and play it on Windows Media Player or Real Player. And whether I like it or not, it’d sit in my hard drive until I delete it. Nowadays, I would not even bother to download a TV spot even if I like it. I just go on YouTube when I want to see it. YouTube has certainly changed our lives, but streaming would not succeed if without the improvement of our broadband speed.
Source: Mashable - The History of Advertising on YouTube [Infographic]
This is a very cool infographic about travel and social media.
“155,000,000 Americans on Facebook” vs. “115,000,000 Americans have a passport” Who says US Facebook users in decline? Well, even if it’s true (though Facebook denied), there are still more Americans on Facebook than have a passport.
Also an interesting fact: Only “37% of Americans have a passport, which means 63% of Americans can’t travel outside USA” But I can’t admit, there are already WAY TOO MANY attractions, great cities in the US. It’s also easier for Americans to just travel within US as there’s no language or culture barrier.
“72% of all social network users access their social networking sites daily while they are travelling” I wonder where are the rest of them! I guess the other 28% of users either have no Internet access or they are travelling in China. (Just kidding!)
“But only 7% use Mobile Internet while travelling internationally!” I don’t get it. Why is this surprising for them? We all know how expensive international roaming is, not to mention international data access.
These are just some of my thoughts. Click on the infographic to see more interesting data!
Source: TechCrunch: More Americans Are On Facebook Than Have A Passport
“… (Angry Birds) reported that by the end of 2010 it expected to generate $1 million per month from in-app advertising on the Android platform” - Angry Birds Ad Spend
And see that In-Game Ad Spend prediction? We’re at $87M and the prediction of 2015 is $894M, which is about more than 1000% increase in 5 years. Though most predictions about online media were not accurate (people were being too optimistic), it is true we’ve gotten more smartphone users in the US than predicted.
While 54% of 18-34 age group doesn’t like in-app ads, the other 46% says they don’t mind. Well, I hope developers wouldn’t develop their apps just for the ad revenue they think that they’d get…. Only popular or/and well-established apps are worth buying ads from.
Very informative infographic. It also raises a few questions that I have in mind:
1. The current (future) possible major players: Google Wallet, Visa Wallet, ISIS, and serve by AE, will they ALL still be around by 2015?
2. Knowing that each of them serve have their own different target group, would merchants and users see the platform collaboration as a big problem?
3. Google Wallet, ISIS and Visa Wallet all use NFC. Does that mean serve by AE would probably the first one to get kicked out from the marketplace? not to mention it only serves AE cardholders too and it’s probably not likely to change
Source: Mashable The Future of Mobile Payments